Monsta X Are BACK!: "Follow" Review

     MONSTA X have given us a couple of tracks recently that I didn't really enjoy, at least not as much as I loved their previous stuff. LOVE U was a quite disappointing, and though Someone's Someone was better, it still didn't live up to the quality of their older stuff.

Today, the group came back with a new album, and the title track "Follow" is what we'll be talking about here.

The intro was so surprising, the music is oriental; it kinda of gives an Aladdin sort of vibe, and that was truly unexpected.

Wonho and Minhyuk did a really good job opening the song, and the build up during Shownu's part was really cool. I loved the drop which takes us back to that middle eastern vibe, the sound is so addictive and fun to listen to. Even the "Follow-low-low-low-low" part was good, and enjoyable.

Now we arrive to the negatives. If you checked the reviews I linked above for their two English songs, you would know that one of the things that I disliked about them is the fact that there was no rap! I expressed my love for Jooheon and I.M's rapping so much, and because we haven't had them rap for sometime now, I was really excited to hear what they'd do on "Follow".

I don't know why I was expecting some kind of grand rap comeback, and Jooheon ,who I love and adore, didn't really deliver! Unfortunately, I did not like his verse at all, it didn't seem like him, I didn't like the lyrics: "I feel good if I die young cuz you're my killer", it just didn't feel like him at all.

I think I.M did a better job, I wasn't in love with his verse, when compared to Jooheon's one, I found it to be really nice.

I liked Shownu and Wonho and Kinhyun's sort of calm part before the "Tiki Taka" part with both rappers which  was just ok.

I think this song had so much potential, it could've been truly great. It has a great beat, the vocalists verses were really good, and the rapper could've done so much more.

I still like it though, definitely enjoyed it more than the recent releases they gave us, and I do see myself playing it every now then, but it really had the potential to be way better than it turned out.


"Follow" Card:
*Score: 7.3/10
*Label: Good
*Star of the song: Wonho
*Final thoughts: Definitely a good change from the various English songs we've gotten lately, and it got me quite excited to check the full album. 
*Watch the music video:
  • What did you think of "Follow"? loved it? not so much? whatever you think, make sure to share it down below.


Comments